yconic - Nursing Hopefuls for 2019 :)
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
CIBC Student Banking
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nursing Hopefuls for 2019 :)

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi prospective nursing students! Let's use this thread as a space to share information, questions, concerns, advice, and more with one another as the year progresses.

To get the discussion rolling, start off with your:
• programs of interest (both nursing and non-nursing);
• expected average; and
• career goals!

I'm thinking of applying to McMaster for nursing and health sciences as well as Western for nursing with a 95-96%. I'd like to be a nurse practitioner in the future, but do not have a particular speciality in mind yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
119 replies

does anyone know the cutoffs for Humber-UNB nursing ?? and for seneca as well
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

I applied to Western- Main, uOttawa and Queens and I just received my early acceptance from Ottawa. I want to be a nurse practitioner. Last year, my average was a 94.75 but I got the highest admission scholarship from uOttawa so I'm not sure if they rounded it or if they took my top six grades. For Grade 12, I am aiming for an average above 95, so far, I have a 97 in data, 98  in kin and a 98 in advanced functions.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I got early acceptance to uOttawa too!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi!
I applied to Brock, Mcmaster, Western (Main site), Western-Fanshawe and Trent. I am currently returning as a grade 12 student. 
My marks are as follows:
Business Leadership - 96% (final)
English - 91% (final)
Nutrition - 96% (mid-term)
Data - 97%(mid-term)
Bio - 83% (final, however, I plan to upgrade this mark next semester as I took it in summer school 2 years ago - Grade 11 was around an 87%)
Chem - TBD - I had a 75% in grade 11 chemistry, however, I missed multiple weeks of the course as I was participating in an exchange program so I anticipate that it will be higher 

My other grade 12 marks were:
95% - International law
90% - Kinesiology 
85% - Challenge and Change in Society 

My first choice is Brock! Does anyone have any info about whether or not these marks will be high enough to get in? And does anyone know when Brock typically starts to send out acceptances? Thanks! 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Not too sure about Brock and Trent but main and Fanshawe sites for Western seem to be pretty good for you! From what I've read it I believe Western's main campus has a 92 cutoff and Fanshawe a bit lower (89?). With McMaster, it seems to depend heavily on CASPer because their admission averages look a bit lower than other schools. I'd definitely take the time to prep for the test.

As a whole, you seem to be pretty set! I wouldn't take these words too heavily though because I'm also an applicant and this information all comes from reading forums and sites. Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

you will def get into brock with those marks 

good luck in your future

I am in first year nursing at Mcmaster. I got  my acceptance to brock in feb. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You'll get in for sure and they give good scholarships
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello!
I am currently in first year of Queen's nursing and would love to reach out to all of you that are applying to see if you have any questions. I checked our 2018 thread religiously so I know all the excitement and stress that you are feeling right now!
I applied and got into McMaster, Western, Ottawa, Brock and Queen's so if you have any questions about those schools or applications you can ask me :)
Good Luck Everyone!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What strategies did you use when writing the casper test for mcmaster?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi! I recently applied and am super nervous but also very excited!
Do you mind me asking when you were accepted into Brock and with what average?
Brock is my first choice.
Thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi there! I have a couple of questions as well :)
- What was your overall grade 11 & 12 average?
- When did you get accepted into Queen's? (since there are multiple waves!)
- Do you have any advice about writing our PSEs?
- What made you choose Queen's over the other schools you got into? 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello Again!
1. When writing the casper I found that it was helpful to go over the practice examples just prepare myself for what the real test was like. The test can seem stressful because there is a time limit but if you stay calm and focused it's not that bad! When answering the questions my advice is to be non judgmental about the situation and explore all possible options, then pick the best one. Also, please don't stress yourself out too much over it!

2. Hey! I got early acceptance to Brock in December because of my grade 11 average which was around a 93.  I wish you the best of luck, Brock is a great school!

3. Hi! So my grade 11 and 12 averages were both around 93-94%. I got accepted to Queens Feb 28 (I only remember that date because Queens was my first choice and I was very excited lol). When writing the PSE I would say to make sure to fill in every question and be yourself! They have a practice PSE online and it was the exact same as the one I had to do so I would recommend looking over that too! I chose Queens because I really liked the program and the campus. I would highly suggest looking over the four year course breakdown before picking a school because you want to be interested in all of the classes. Even though they are all nursing programs some schools have different requirements and course sequences. Also, I would recommend to visit the schools you are interested in because liking the campus is important. Personally, Queens campus was my favourite because it was a good sized campus and right in downtown Kingston. Some other schools I visited either were too small for me or too big. It's all about how you feel there because it will be your home for the next four years!

Hope that helped! Feel free to ask anymore questions!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey!
I was wondering what did you write on your PSE. Can you list all your extracurriculars and  what did you write for how one of your extracurriculars positively impacted you?
Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey there!

I'm in a bit of a weird situation because of poor grade 11 and 12 advanced function marks (we're talking 60s and 70s) due to a lot of stuff going on with family and poor health. All my other courses as of late in grade 12 are looking alright (mid-80s to high 90s) and I anticipate around an 89-91 average by the time February/April swings by. I also have extracurriculars that include two jobs, two competitive sports outside of school, and lifeguarding and swim instructor jobs that I did over the summer.

The schools I'm considering include:
- UBCO nursing
- Queen's nursing
- Western nursing (Fanshawe site)
- Ryerson nursing (George Brown site)
- York kin
- Waterloo kin
- Western kin

A few questions to ask (if responding please be as honest and blunt as possible!):
1. Are these programs too far from reach? I haven't paid for my application to OUAC because I'm still picking and filtering my options (trying to get it down to five or six programs). I know UBCO and Queen's have their supplementary applications so I'm hoping they would take my extracurriculars into consideration.
2. I'm concerned about my math mark dragging me down but I still have calculus next semester that I know I can get at least a mid-80 in (my school is full-year with the exception of AFCALC being semestered). I recently moved into a relative's to focus on school and get away from the situation at home so it should help a lot. Will universities still take that mark into consideration in February/April? What are my chances looking like?

Sorry for the long post and many thanks if you've read up to this point! Also, shoutout to any fellow male nursing applicants out there! I want to hear where you guys are applying to!

Thanks again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

1. Not quite sure what the averages are currently for these schools, but when I was accepted you basically needed over a 90% to get into any of the competitive universities such as the ones you are applying for (I'm a second year nursing student). Still, hopefully someone can answer you with more details about that.
2. Are you sure you want to do calculus? You only need one 4U math (I'm pretty sure) so that could either be advanced functions, calculus, or data management. Data is easier (at least in my experience) and much more applicable to nursing. If you choose to do something like data, not only will you be helping yourself for nursing, you'll be boosting your overall average to get into your choice schools. They'll take your highest 6, including the prerequisites so if I were you, I would take data (or calc if you think you'll do even better in) to boost my average (they'll take that mark rather than advanced function) or I would take a class I know I could get over a mid to high 90 in.  
Schools should still be taking your February/April marks into consideration. You may not get early acceptance, but they should be continually updating and checking back in on your marks. Might want to call the school though to just confirm their system. 
Lastly, as competitive as nursing school is, there are schools that don't requires a 95+ to get in. My advice is to be smart about applying. Reach for your dream schools, but also apply to one you KNOW you'll get into because if all else fails, you'll get into a BScN program and graduate as a nursing in 4 years like everyone else. A big misconception is that employers care about the school you went to. They really don't and they'll hire anyone with a BScN diploma, regardless of school, if you can show your skills and if you have the proper experience (which any CNO accredited school can give you). 
Sorry for the rant, and good luck! Keep studying hard because the good habits built in high school will help you immensely in nursing school!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I applied to Western, McMaster, Ryerson, GB, Ottawa and Queen's (most main sites) in mid November. 

I just got an offer to Ryerson main-site yesterday! 

I fast tracked 2 12 courses (Health Science 95 and English 92), and with all my 11 marks, my average came out to be 91.7. And with just the top 6 marks I have now, I have an average of 92.0. 

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

I am in first year nursing at Mcmaster Nursing main site, if you have questions feel free to ask me
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

to the person above, you’ll never know how you did on Casper, my advice is to just answer the questions honestly and try to come up with unique answers
Was this helpful? Yes 2

This post was deleted

anybody else get accepted into ryerson this morning? :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you think i can get into george brown, seneca, mcmaster, or ryerson cenntenial with an 89 average? 
My top pick is York-seneca because its the closest one to me, so do u think I'll be able to get in with an 89 or 89.5 average? Also what are my chances for george brown
Was this helpful? Yes 0

does anyone know if its possible
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes, it's possible. I got into York/Seneca, GB/Centennial, and GB/Ryerson last year with an 89 average. I don't know about Mac though because I didn't apply there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey, I’m a 1st year McMaster student, i just finished my first sem! I remember being on this site last year. Applying to nursing school is probably one of the most stressful things ive ever been through, so if you have any questions feel free to ask! I applied to Mac, ryerson, Brock, centennial, and George brown
Was this helpful? Yes 1

How did you handle the stress of writing the CASPer test? Also, do they watch you on the webcam for the entire duration of the test, or just take a photo in order to make sure it's you?
I have my test booked for February 12th and signed up for CASPer test prep with Astroff. I'm really nervous I won't be successful and will break down over the time limit pressure. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Was accepted to Brock Nursing yesterday :) Got the Scholar's award of $4000 per year
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Has anyone heard from Brock yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yup :) Read above anon
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got in pretty much the day after I applied. I got the $2500 per year scholarship, although I need to maintain my average to keep it. I honestly doubt I will tbh.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Just got accepted to Ryerson-Centennial collab! I'm applying as a 105D applicant (did a BSc at Western Uni) and my cGPA wasn't the greatest, so it's a huge relief.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What was your highschool average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi, I’m currently in grade 12 and have applied to Laurentian, Lakehead, Trent, Western for nursing and also plan on applying to York for their collab program for nursing as well. I have been freaking out because I’m scared I won’t get accepted into any programs because I currently have an 83 % average. I also did not know that the nursing program for western have a high cutoff, so I probably won’t get accepted into there. I just want to know whether or not I have a chance of getting accepted into any programs with my average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think you'll get in somewhere, most people do. Might not be Western, but in the end, everyone is getting the same Nursing Diploma, no matter where they got it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is anyone writing the CASPer next week? Ahh I’m so nervous. Have any of those people started preparing for it yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I’m writing the CASPer in February. The one on Thursday is sandwiched between two exams for me. Not ideal.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Looking at NCLEX pass rates, the pass rates for many people’s “ideal” schools don’t quite match up with the hype. McMaster main’s is lower than 90%. Western main’s is straddling the 90% boundary. The collab colleges for pretty much every school is drastically lower than the main (yes, including MoMac), except one of the sites for Algonquin College collab with uOttawa is somehow higher? Weird. Ryerson main’s pass rate is lower than Brock main’s. Queen’s is preposterously high. Close to perfect. Lakehead main has a higher passing rate than uOttawa. What surprised me the most was that Windsor main has a pass rate of only 0.1% lower than Western main. I applied there as a backup but if we’re going by NCLEX pass rates, it seems like a solid choice. Of course, the statistics don’t show everything. Things like the school environment, the teachers, the program curriculum, etc are all important. But looking at these pass rates has really made me reconsider my rankings of my choices.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Heyy, so I'm a fifth year student in grade 12 and was hoping to get into a Nursing program this year!! I am doing another year at a local high school just like normal because of health issues last year that severely impacted my marks :/ 
These are my marks:
English: 81%
Bio:80%
Chem:81%
Data: 90%
Law: 100%
Online Government course: 87% 
Average so far: 86.5%
I'm taking my semester 2 now:
Repeating English, Repeating chemistry, and taking an extra hopefully mark booster course: change and challenges in society!!
I applied to ALOT of schools this year to be safe: Humber- UNB, Georgebrown-rye, Cent-Rye, Seneca-york, lambton, western main, ryerson main, uoit, and uottawa main! I'm hoping to get a 90% average ish after semester 2 and my top choices are Uottawa and Western but I know they have a reputation of having high average cutoffs so I'm scared about that.. I already got into Humber-UNB but yeah any tips, advice, or words of comfort lol for a gal just trying to get into a main site university :)) pls ik my marks ain't as high as the others in this thread so dont roast me lol o.o<33
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anybody else get an offer from Western today? :D
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I received an offer to the Western-Fanshawe Collab this morning!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Omg jealousss! What was your average for mainsite? I have a 93.75% so far with the 4 courses I did last year #victorylapping
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey, my average for grade 11 was around 94.2. My average for my first semester of grade 12 is 93.75 as well, but I don’t think the OUAC received those grades yet so I believe I was accepted based on my grade 11 marks! Good luck on getting accepted I know you can do it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I had a Gr 11 average of 92.5% (but top 6 average of 92.3%). My Gr 12 first sem average is 91.75%. Do you think I'll get a Feb acceptance from Western main site? 

My first sem was a pretty difficult one, which is why my average was so low. But by second sem midterms, I'm anticipating at leasttt a 93% top 6 based on how well my courses are going so far.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does anyone know if you can receive an offer from Western (main site) if you have already received an offer from Western-Fanshawe?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think so. I'm pretty sure they do that for McMaster main site and MoMac and ConMac, so I don't think Western would be any different. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Received an offer to Brock this morning with a $16 000 scholarship!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Received an offer from uottawa in November and just received an offer to Brock 2 days ago. I have a 92% average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anyone been accepted to Seneca/York?
Was this helpful? Yes 0