yconic - Nursing Hopefuls for 2019 :)
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
CIBC Student Banking
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nursing Hopefuls for 2019 :)

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi prospective nursing students! Let's use this thread as a space to share information, questions, concerns, advice, and more with one another as the year progresses.

To get the discussion rolling, start off with your:
• programs of interest (both nursing and non-nursing);
• expected average; and
• career goals!

I'm thinking of applying to McMaster for nursing and health sciences as well as Western for nursing with a 95-96%. I'd like to be a nurse practitioner in the future, but do not have a particular speciality in mind yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
119 replies

Programs of interest: 
-McMaster main site 
-MoMac 
-Brock main
-Western main 
-Mac health sci 
Expected Average: 92%-93% (if chem and data work out.. :S) 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

is momac the only collab you are applying for? since ocas includes up to 5 program choices in the $95 fee
Was this helpful? Yes 2

I ended up applying to:
-MoMac
-ConMac
-Brock/Loyalist
-Mohawk Paramedic program
-Arts and Science University Transfer (Mohawk)
Wasn't too sure what to apply to because a lot of collabs involve colleges that are far from home, and I'd rather stay a bit closer to my hometown. I just didn't want to waste the money. 
Also applied to Mac Nursing, Health Sci, Life Sci, Brock Nursing, Western Nursing and Medical Science. A lot of programs, but I'm worried I won't get in anywhere because my Grade 11 marks were all over the place. 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My top choice is currently Ryerson followed by York. I want to complete my clinical placements in Toronto so any other suggestions?? I have a 92 average btw
Was this helpful? Yes 1

You can add Humber/University of Guelph to the list as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

People have been waitlisted for a 92% at Ryerson main last year, and the averages go up every year, so maybe shoot for a 93 or for one of the collab sites? Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

im super anxious about casper and uni admissions since nursing is so competitive!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

This post was deleted

Hey everyone, I created the thread for last year so im happy to see my tradition lives on (lol) but im currently first year in the george brown/ryerson program so if you guys have any questions about the ryerson program or living in toronto let me know!! its honestly such a great program and ryerson is underrated in my opinion 

also i know all of you only actually want to know my average from last year, i got accepted in late march with an average of 89% from first semester, but i got rejected from pretty much everywhere- ottawa, western, fanshawe , brock (i received an alternate offer for a bachelor of public health), mac (accepted at conestoga and mohawk though) hope this helps 
Was this helpful? Yes 2

This post was deleted

How do you like living downtown Toronto? I'm also interested in Ryerson and love Toronto but don't know how I feel about living there full time. Is campus safe at night? Do you find there's a lot of non-students passing through at night?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

i absolutely love living downtown! i live at college station so im right in the thick of it! it definitely isn't for everyone since the city never sleeps (not kidding when i say that). but for me, i love how theres always things to do and and interesting things going on in the city (so far I've done TIFF, nuit blanche etc..)

for Ryerson, i have to say there is a lot of non students passing through campus as its right at younge and dundas so there are people everywhere! but i wouldn't worry because the campus does feel super safe, I've never seen anything worse than a few homeless people walking around campus - its mainly students, profs and randos trying to find their way to the eaton centre

but that being said, i do love the city very much, it really give you a unique university experience :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What made you choose Ryerson/George Brown over MoMac or ConMac?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Is this a troll post? Save your money and narrow your list down to 5 programs at the most. With a low-mid 90s average, you don't need a backup and you certainly do not need to be applying to 8-10 programs. 

Are kids lacking the ability to do simple google searches these days?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hiya! 

I’m applying to 
- Western main site
- McMaster main site + MoMac
- Ryerson main site
- Queen’s
- Possibly also McGill and/or Ottawa
- U of T faculty of science is my backup
- I’m applying to US schools as well (I got a 35 on the ACT with a 10 in the writing essay), but it may be too expensive for me

My average has been rollercoasting all over the place, but I go to a pretty competitive high school and I’ve fast tracked two grade 12 classes - I got a 91 in world history and a 96 in biology. I’m not sure if I should explain on my uni apps that I struggle with mental health and have had to leave public school for treatment in the past, because stigma exists lol. I’m hoping for at least a 93-94 average, because I know people have gotten waitlisted for the schools I’m applying to with a 92% last year. 

As for career goals, I’d love to be a nurse practitioner working in paediatric mental health! I’m particularly interested in autism spectrum disorder + other developmental disorders, but I’m not sure if that’s the best choice, since I’m suspected of being on the spectrum (if I am, I’m near the higher functioning end). If paediatric mental health doesn’t work out, I’d like to be either an obstetrics or neonatal nurse practitioner (if it wasn’t obvious already, I love children).
Was this helpful? Yes 2

I can relate on the mental health spectrum - my grade 11 marks are pretty bad, but I was able to step up in my grade 12/13 years..are you applying to anything other that MoMac through OCAS?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Currently a 3rd year nursing student. I remember all the stress during admissions! Feel free to ask questions :) Good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 1

1. What school do you go to?
2.What was ur average in high school?
3. Is nursing school as hard as you expected? Are a lot of people failing?
4. Do you enjoy your program? Why or why not?

Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey I go to UOIT! My high school average when I applied was an 89. Yes nursing is a tough program and can be stressful but it is manageable if you put the work into it and if nursing is something you want to do then go for it! I am in my 3rd year haha so yes I love my program and where I am currently doing placement. I have also met good friends in nursing school and we help each other out...it's a great experience so far.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

I am predicting that my average will be around 84 - 88% What universities in Ontario do I have a chance getting into for an RN program? Im scared that I wont get into any university.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

definitely try for different collaborative programs! I’m doing that as well since I made the dumb decision of taking advanced functions and it probably will bring my average down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

you could also apply to mac & trent since they use the casper and try to get a high score on it
Was this helpful? Yes 2

You could always apply to Lakehead University. They typically accept anywhere from low 80s and upwards. They also have a compressed 3-year long BScN program if you wanted to graduate early!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

york/seneca ,, most people got in with mid to high 80s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You could try Brock/Loyalist
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys I'm a first year nursing student at Nipissing U, last year I checked the 2018 thread regularly and thought I would reach out. I'm about to start my first clinical placement so if you have any question about some first year labs and such don't hesitate to ask. 
I had a 88.9 average with all my required courses and received admission to Uottawa main, Trent, and Nipissing! 
Was this helpful? Yes 2

1. Why did you choose Nipissing?
2.What is the cut off grade to get in?
3.Do you like the campus environment? Is it hard to make friends?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello everyone! Do you think it is possible to get into Conestoga Mcmaster site with an 89 average? Thanks for your feedback!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey! That should be ok pending you do very well on your CASPer exam for mac sites!
Was this helpful? Yes 3

i got in with an 88 and a strong casper :)
Was this helpful? Yes 3

Hey thanks for your feedback guys! Does anyone mind giving a brief summary of what the CASPer exam covers?
Was this helpful? Yes 2

the casper asks you situational questions to test how you would react in them! id recommend doing some research on it to prepare, they have sample videos on youtube
Was this helpful? Yes 2

I'm going to apply to:
1. Brock
2. Trent
3. Mac, Queens or Western (I'm still so confused!)
My average currently is 93-94% so I hope it stays!
For anyone in Mac Nursing: How do you like problem-based nursing? I'm not sure I would like that aspect of nursing at mac and may not apply there just for that reason.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Hey I'm first year at mac nursing rn. Honestly it may seem a little boring at first, but it really does help you think more critically and more efficiently which is something so crucial as a nurse. The first few lessons are boring like you talk about stuff that seems like common sense but it all makes sense after when you start doing care scenarios! I really like Mac's style as a program, it's super tough and time consuming but all worth it at the end. Also just in case you didnt know, mac also requires you to write the CASPer exam as your supplementary component to your application so if you wanted to apply to MAC make sure you book a test date! Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Hi
I am planning on applying to:
-Brock
-Nipissing
-Laurentian
-Trent
I will hopefully have a 93-94 average, but I am still super on edge about whether I will get in.

Was this helpful? Yes 2

I'm applying to:
1. Western
2. Queens
3. McMaster
4. Ryerson

I'm only applying to main sites, expecting an 91-92% average. Goal is to become a paediatric or emergency nurse practitioner. My back up is Waterloo or Western Computer Science. Super nervous about my chances for acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 3

This post was deleted

Hey guys! Im a first year nursing student at uOttawa. I got in with a 88.5 avg. I was waitlisted for ryerson george-brown (I didn't accept the waitlist), got into York seneca, uOttawa mainsite and collab (woodroffe), and Trent. If you have any questions feel free to ask me!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Hello! Thanks for your story!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey! My top choice is Uottawa! im hoping for a 87 average, but i'm applying to all 3 Uottawa campuses. Do you think it's possible to get in i'm very much stressing because my math is what is bringing me down! Also how do you like Uottawa nursing :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You'll probably get into pembroke with an 87 and probably even into woodroffe (I got into woodroffe with an 86). Uottawa nursing is pretty good, 1st year we just have general classes, no clinicals. Goodluck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Kudos to some of the posters here only applying to 3-4 programs when their averages are 90+. Baffles me how people are throwing money down the drain applying to 5+ programs, especially when they definitely don't need to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I guess that's because there's uncertainty with Casper playing a significant role in nursing admissions..?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey everyone! I’m first year MoMac :) Last year I obsessed over this site and I know how confusing the program can be so please feel free to reply with any questions at all!! 

I got waitlisted (very common for momac) and then accepted in mid-may with an 86.8 average (lower end for sure) so I’d say what saved me is that I had a pretty strong Casper! 

Goodluck future nurses ❤️❤️
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey, I'm super interested in McMaster!! Do you have any tips for Casper since you did well on it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So I honestly didn’t practice or anything for the Casper- there’s not really anything you can do. The answers will really just come naturally! I’d say that if you want to prepare, the best thing to do is to practice typing if you’re not great at it. The test is timed and it can be really frustrating if you can’t type as fast as you’re coming up with ideas to answer the questions! If you are running out of time, just put something down and try not to leave any completely blank because they do score each answer. Also don’t get too caught up in trying to answer what you think they’re looking for, say what you actually think! They can tell if you do that and the best thing to do is to be genuine and just back up why you think what you think- there isn’t necessarily a right or wrong answer and I think it’s more about being able to think on your feet with good reason. It’s nothing to worry about and if anything, I’d say the Casper test is a great tool and can really help you out. It takes away the stress of having to have extremely high marks because you know there’s something else representing you to the school :)
Was this helpful? Yes 2

hey there! so i heard that momac students spend a lot of time on the mac campus for most of their classes, could you explain this to me a bit more in depth please? and when you're not on mac campus, what are you doing at mohawk? thank you so much in advance :-)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

So we actually never go to the Mohawk campus and wouldn’t have a reason to. You would have access to the facilities and services at the Fennel campus if you wanted to but ALL of your classes are at Mac. Some are in regular Mac buildings, the big lectures with the Mac main kids (psych and anatomy). Smaller classes (nursing clinical and PBL) are with other momac kids in the IAHS, which is a Mohawk building on McMaster’s property. Right beside the hospital and engineering building if you’re familiar :) but yea so regardless of what class, you’re always going to Mac - its just that some classes are in the building owned by Mohawk on McMaster’s property.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Can you give us a sample scenario or question from the CASPer PLEASE!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys, 
I was recently looking at the Uni sites for Nursing and on some sites under admission requirements (required courses)  it states : “Grade 11 U or M or Grade 12 U Mathematics (one of: MCF3M, MCR3U, MCV4U, MDM4U, MHF4U).”  Does that mean I can submit my 3U functions mark?  My 3U is higher than my 4U so far, so I’m really hoping I can include my grade 11 mark! 

Thank you!  :-)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Yes :) so you dont really submit any marks. Your grade 11 and 12 marks will be on OUAC automatically! I'm assuming you're talking about Ryerson, Western or uOttawa. Those are the main 3 that look at 11U Functions. I know for Western as long as you get 65% above for 12U then they take that but your 11U math IS NOT apart of your top 6. Once they see that you have passed minimum grade for 11U math then they take your 12U top 6 which includes all your 12U prereqs! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi!
So I know I went on last year thread a loooooot, so I thought I'd see if I can help at all.
I'm currently in first year Nursing at Queens, but I also applied and got into Mcmaster (main site), Windsor and Western!
If you have any questions about Queens or how the program works or anything along those lines I'd love to help! Also about the Casper test as I also took that. :D
Good luck to all of you, I know you'll all do great!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

1. Why did you choose to go to Queens? 
2. What was your grade 11 and grade 12 average? 
3. Would you recommend taking advance functions or data management?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

First of all Congrats!

What was your grade 11 and 12 averages? 

I had a 90.5% average in grade 11, it was pretty too low compared to what I usually get. I think I might get anywhere from 92%-93% in grade 12. Queens has an admission requirement of a 90%+ average, so what average do you think we need to get, to get accepted. 

On the einfo site, it says Queens requires to fill out the PSE thing, did you do that? Do they only accept people who are extremely involved in extracurricular activities, or people who participate in a few things.

How many students are in the Queens Nursing Program?

Can you give a sample question for the MacU CASPer Please!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi there !
I was wondering what was your average that got you into Queens and if you wrote a PSE. If you did write a PSE, what did you write about? As well, when did Queens give you the offer?

Thank you! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does anyone have any info on ubco nursing? I’m thinking about applying but I can’t find many details on the website :/ e.g when does clinical begin?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I have a super close friend there and am applying there myself! First-term consists of A LOT of studying with bio, nursing, and stats lectures along with labs. From what I remember you start getting into the hospital in either the second term of your first year or your second year. Can confirm at a later time.

Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

which grade 12 math is better to take advanced functions or data management? I think data management would be a bit easier and it would bring my average mark up more then advanced functions but i wouldn't want them to penalize me and accept someone else who took advanced functions just because its a harder course, imo. I'm mainly referring to MAC nursing.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

As a second year nursing student, absolutely take data management! You'll have to take a math course in either first or second year depending on your school. For my math course, 80% of it was stuff I learned from data management and I sailed through compared to my friends who took advanced functions and had no previous knowledge about it. 
Long story short; take data management. You'll have a higher average and it is more relevant than advanced functions in nursing. Good luck!
Edit: As for acceptance, it won't matter what you take. One is not valued over the other, and you will not be penalized for taking data since it is still a 4U course.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey guys!
I am interested in only nursing programs:
- McMaster (all three sites)
- Trent U
- Queens U
I already have three of my six U courses finished and am currently sitting at a 91% average. This year I have Bio, Data and English which will be added to the average. Right now I have a 97 in data and a 91 in english. My target average is 92%-94% which i hope i can get! I really want to be a nurse practioner specializing in Endocrine- this is because of my own health issues that fall under the endocrine section. This was really what got me interested in the field! 
Oh! I have some good news too. I talked too a Conestoga rep and they said for all three mac sites, the Casper test is worth 20% and marks are 80%, last year the Casper was worth 40%!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

wow really?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Do they include your prerquisites in your top 6 marks for nursing??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am applying to strictly nursing programs at: 
- McMaster (top choice) 
- Western- main and Fanshawe 
- Ryerson- main and George Brown 
- Ottawa 
- Brock 
My grade 11 average was around 94% and my average so far this year is 92.7%. I have grade 12 english completed already. I may possibly be interested in psychiatric nursing or oncology nursing but I would like to see where my experiences in clinicals lead me. Super nervous about acceptances and the Casper test as well! 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

I love nurses. They got such nice damn ass*s in those beautiful tight scrubs. UGHHHH.
Was this helpful? Yes 3