yconic - Nursing Hopefuls for 2018!!
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
CIBC Student Banking
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Nursing Hopefuls for 2018!!

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
There has been posts like these in the past years, so I decided to make one for 2018 applicants!

You can share...
1) What school(s) you`re applying to?
2) What other programs are you applying to as a backup?
3) What overall average are you aiming for at the end of the year?
4) For current/past nursing students, what is your advice for anyone applying for nursing programs this year?
5) Where have you been accepted? If you don't mind sharing, with what average?
6) Any questions you have about nursing! We're all here to help.

I am applying to Western, McMaster, Brock, Ottawa and some collabs!
Hoping for a 90 average this year.
Was this helpful? Yes 6
3656 replies

whoever is going to York/Seneca reply with ur ig so we can be best friends :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Me ???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anyone get off the Ryerson mainsite waitlist recently? and if so what average?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

MOMAC STUDENTS
has anyone been able to successfully enroll in the fall semester classes? 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yes! both fall and winter
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No 1-2 of my classes aren’t working
Was this helpful? Yes 0

for winter, are you able to see the multi term courses? (1h06b, 1k02b). It wont let me enroll in them and the email said we would be automatically enrolled, but they wont appear on my timetable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

they dont show up. just leave the same times empty from first sem. when you finally enroll, it will show up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Ottawa U and/or Ottawa U collab? Trying to figure out if there are still spots open but they won’t give up anything when I call :( 105D applicant here waiting anxiously!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does anyone know a Facebook or Instagram  group for GB - Ryerson nursing 2018 ?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

theres a facebook group, just search for it! we have a group chat too :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Is there anyone in centennial/ryerson that needs a roomate? i'm looking for one!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey idk if anyone is still using this thread but I have a question about Mac and momac and how they calculate admission average. I know that you’re required to take at least one U math course, but if you took two math U courses and did really well in both, will they only take the higher one or could one course count as the obligatory math class (say advanced functions) and then the other could be another U/M course in your top six (such as calculus and vectors)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

anyone starting the seneca/york program this fall join the fb group!!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/199023874051243/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

and follow my ig @maris__sa
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Where Are my Humber People؟
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Im going to Humber!!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

See you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ayo to the people who are going to humber, what are the differences between the two English courses ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think one focuses on literature and the other one nature MAY BE..I dunnno i chose ecology how about you?n btw am in block A.n u?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey! I am not the person who posted first, but I chose ecology too. And I am in block B
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Am the one who chose block A.I think block C was full long time ago.Block A and B still have some spots??...Nayways whats your Ig?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Hi, I am an Ontario Student hoping to get into McMaster (1st choice), Queen's, Ottawa, or Brock. I had a rougher average in grade 11 due to a bad grade 11 functions mark (overall average was an 89.25%). This year I am hoping to get a 91.6 average (just includes the 6 required courses. My overall grade 12 average will probably be an 88-89. I reaaally want to get into McMaster, I heard that the admission average is usually a 90 later on in the 2nd semester. 

Will the universities look at my grade 11 average, or just the 6 courses in grade 12? 
Will they look at my overall grade 12 average too?

I'm also really worried about the CASper test (i'm not sure if I'm decisive enough to be able to pick a side and answer a question well). I've done sample tests, but am having trouble loading the videos, has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? Did anyone find the test really challenging, or was it fine?

SPORTS
Have any of you played a varsity sport while in nursing? (I'm hoping to play for McMasters Women's Club Hockey team). Or more than one intramural sport? If so, did you find it hard to balance everything?

I would really appreciate it if any of you take the time to read this and answer my questions :) thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey! McMaster only does a single round of admissions in May so they don't even look at grade 11 marks! I know last year some people got rejected and then later on in the month they got accepted because they had more spots to fill, but the majority of acceptances come early may time! So theyll look at your first semester grade 12, midterms second semester and the CASPer.
CASPer was totally ok for me you just need to think and type fast. The idea is that you dont need to write a lot, but you write down something useful. Just answer truthfully to be honest and you'll be ok as long as you dont have crazy answers.
I actually talked to someone last year who was on the women's hockey team at mac and she was in nursing too. She said that it was tough but managle and it forced her to stay on top of everything. I'm first year nursing at mac too and I'm planning to do clubs and sports too I think it's just about tune management! Dont worry too much, you'll be ok :) good luck! If you have any of questions let me know!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Looking through this thread is causing my heart rate to go up! I'm typing this from McMaster University, as I live my dream as a nursing student. I can't believe we made it, Class of '22. Sorry for getting all emotional, but I truly believe all of us have earned a pat on the back for surviving an incredibly stressful application process. I hope all of you, wherever you have ended up, are living your best lives! If you're a current applicant to nursing who is anxiously searching through this thread, wondering if you will get accepted into their dream school, just remember that absolutely everything happens for a reason. You will find yourself where you're meant to be in the end. If you ever have questions about MoMac nursing or Mac main site nursing (I'm in main site but I'm very familiar with MoMac), please respond to this comment! I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hiya!
I'm just wondering how you like problem-based learning? I have heard good and bad and just want to know the truth because I dislike group work and that may be a factor whether I apply or not. Also just tell me in general, how is the program? How much did textbooks cost you? Thank you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi there! In first year, each semester, you will have one PBL class. Each day I have different feelings towards PBL...some Monday mornings I dread it, other days I'm excited to learn. I have to admit, the first month of the class is pretty dry. You read endless pages about different theories and models of nursing. You'll hear "the literature says" a lot, which drives me nuts sometimes. In class you talk about that very same content for three hours, but some of the tutors (we call the nursing-specific profs tutors for some reason) make it exciting, while others put you to sleep by reading off of the long slideshow. As you move forward into first semester, and especially in second semester, you begin to apply the theories you've learned along the way to care scenarios. For example, in first semester you'll be introduced to Mrs. Adams, an elderly woman who has suffered a recent fall. Her son is overbearing, she has difficulty with certain activities of daily living (ADL's), and her house is not setup safely in a way that meets her needs. You spend a few weeks discussing Mrs. Adams as a class before, as a group, creating a care plan for Mrs. Adams based on what you've learned. This is where you start to feel like a nurse! To be honest, I used to hate PBL, but I'm starting to see its value and I'm trying to learn as much as I can from it. I dislike group work as well, but in PBL I've had nothing but great experiences with groups. You sit with the same group for the entire semester, so you get to know each other very well. A lot of friendships come from suffering through PBL together! In first semester, there is only one major group project for which the entire group receives the same mark. Throughout the semester you will also have multiple "research questions" to answer as a group by the next class. These are very informal and you don't have to submit anything. Overall, I've been very content with the group work in PBL.

The program is hard, which is true for all nursing schools, but anatomy and physiology at Mac is more difficult than it is at some schools. The average on the final was 55% (60 to pass), and the tutorial problems are DEATH. I went from getting 90's in high school to 70's in university, but of course every student is different. I strongly suggest that you take an easy elective, such as health sci in the media. It was a bird course, and also very helpful. Biochem is essentially a review of grade 12, but it's only week 2 so I can't say whether it's hard or not. In psych, the online modules (1-2 per week, on top of the lecture and tutorial) are time consuming, but the content isn't crazy hard. I will say that the multiple choice questions in psych, PBL, and clinical are rigged. It's those "which ones the most right" type of questions. You have to learn how to beat the tests, which I'm still working on. I will say that our timetables are not as jam packed as an engineering students timetable, but most of your learning will occur outside of class. It is very self-directed, which I have struggled with. I think university in general is self-directed, so that's true wherever you go. I'm not a fan of some of the nursing-specific tutors, but the biochem prof is AMAZING. The anatomy prof that is responsible for nursing students is great too, but one of the first semester anatomy lecturers isn't everyone's favourite guy. My clinical lab tutor is the sweetest, and she has taught me so much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

As a school, I LOVE Mac. There is so much school spirit, which you would see first hand during welcome week. The campus is beautiful, and it isn't too big or too small. The CSBL, where your skills lab will take place is very newly renovated and very nice. I didn't buy all of the "required" textbooks because it isn't necessary. There are free PDF's for some of the texts (ask an upper year for them), so don't buy those ones. I spent about $600 (700 max) on textbooks, but you can get them used for cheaper. I really hope this helps! No matter where you go, nursing is an incredible choice of study and career. I'm still just as passionate as I was before I started. Grade 12 is stressful, but push forward to the end and it will be well worth it! Good luck!! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am predicting that my average will be around 84 - 88% What universities in Ontario do I have a chance getting into for an RN program? Im scared that I wont get into any university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Look into some schools offer collab programs or smaller schools in general. Some of the smaller schools have a lower admission average and smaller classes and even start clinical earlier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Hello! Do universities accept averages in the low to mid 80s?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anon it might be a better idea for you to ask this in the new 2019 thread
Was this helpful? Yes 0